Friday, September 28, 2007

The Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho

Today is a short day. Our train for Chiang Mai leaves at 7:30--we've been told to catch the taxi at 6 to be sure and get through the traffic. Mother wanted to take a trip to the River Kwai (which isn't much to look at but it is well known) but there wasn't time. So we decided to go to the one place I did want to see again, Wat Pho and the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.
This is Khao San Road, the famous Bohemian backpack hotel street. Our hotel isn't far from it.
We passed the Royal Palace (which Mother went to yesterday, while I whiled away my time at the museum). We had to dodge scammers along the way. A group of people kept trying to give me corn to feed the pigeons, which they would undoubtedly would have wanted money for.
The Temple of the Reclining Buddha--it's huge. Too big to really get a good look at it because it barely fits inside the building that it is in. And it was crowded, very very crowded.
From Wat Pho we made our way to the Royal Palace wharf to catch the ferry back to the Khao San Road area. At the wharf there was a little restaurant--we stopped to have some food.
Tonight we have 2nd class sleeper berths for the 14 hour train ride to Chiang Mai. I'm excited about seeing it. I spent two weeks in Chiang Rai, which I think is a smaller version of Chiang Mai. Maybe we can ride some elephants.

In the meantime I am dying for news about when my G&R will be! I was sure I would have heard something by now!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

My friend just got her referral! He is really, really young. Check this out:
http://journeytotheson.blogspot.com/

heidi said...

Scott,
Maybe you will get notified any day now that you can pick up Henry.
Heidi