
We next went to a Vietnamese Buddhist pagoda called the "Jade Emperor Pagoda". It was built in 1909 by the Cantonese Congregation.

At the entrance to the pagoda merchants sell fish, turtles and small birds that are used in the temple. They are not killed as in the Judaic tradition--they are released into a pond inside the courtyard.

Several safe like containers were located throughout the pagoda for various offerings.


Turtles and fish were released into one of two ponds. I am not sure how the birds were handled.

This seemed to be the main altar, which was located straight ahead from the entrance.

Offerings of fruit, vegetable oil, and incense were made.

fThe Chief of Hell along with the God of Yin and the God of Yang. This was located in the Hall of the Ten Hells (if I recall correctly). Bas reliefs on the other side depicted various torments that await the evil doers.

Notre Dame Cathedral, built by the French in the late 19th century.

Sunflowers in the roundabout in front of Notre Dame. The church is kept locked during the day so if I want to see inside it I will have to go back during a scheduled Mass.


We went back to the Post Office that I had visited earlier, which is right across the street from Notre Dame. I had read about these old maps--the above map is late 19th century and shows the Saigon area. The lower map shows the Mekong area.


We next went to China Town and visited this market. It ws extremely crowded and dark. All kinds of clothing and household goods as well as food staples are sold. I did find ice trays which I had been wanting, but the tour guide wasn't with me and I didn't feel like bartering with somebody who didn't speak English. It was like a warehouse with hundreds of different operators. Most purchases seemed to be done in large quantities, I suppose store owners come here to restock their merchandise. The tour guide did buy a hat and socks so I know individuals can buy things.

The central courtyard of the market had a Buddhist shrine, and had the only benches that I was able to find.

This woman sitting near the entrance to the courtyard was selling lottery tickets. This seems to be a major activity of older women, and is one of the few things that are not offered to tourists. I suppose they don't think tourists would be interested in the local lottery. The payoffs are not big by American standards--I think a couple of hundred dollars would be considered a jackpot.

This pagoda in China Town catered to the Chinese population. It seemed to be associated with the Lady who was the patron of the Cave Pagoda I visited near Chau Doc.

The central entrance to the pagoda.

Prayer requests are written out on pink slips of paper and fastened to the wall.


A bas relief depicting some kind of journey.

This is the main altar. Note the large spiral insense burning up above. An attendant moved this in and out by using a long pole. Supplicants would move from location to another, lighting a stick of insense and saying a few prayers, as the woman is doing in the photo.

Cushions for kneeling, I suppose it is for praying the same as can be seen in western churches.

Looking up at the spiral insense.

Bas reliefs on the edge of the roof.

After we left the Chinese pagoda we walked around the neighborhood a little. We saw a shop selling dragons like I have seen in parades for the Chinese New Year. We went to what looked like a local medicine shop and the guide pointed out bottle with snakes in them and I think the liquid was rice wine. I asked her how much the small bottles were (I didn't want to drink it, just keep it as a souvenir) and she said 10,000 dong. But when I pulled my money out and said I wanted to buy one the man told her he was confused, and that the price was 30,000 dong. I guess that is a common practice--to overcharge tourists. I could have afforded the 30,000 dong--it's only $1.86. But I didn't like the idea of being offered a different price and didn't take it.
I do want to mention the lunch that we had on the tour. It is by far the most expensive meal I've had since I've been here. We were taken to Dong Du Restaurant (
www.benthantour.com/lemekongdongdu) and offered either French or Vietnamese cuisine. We chose Vietnamese and were seated on the lower floor. Waiters unfolded our napkins and placed them in our laps. Everything on the menu was much higher than I have been accustomed to paying. I ended up ordering a coconut shrimp salad and with a diet soda and ten percent "tax" added (it was really a tip, which is not common here)--I paid 108,000 dong. That is almost seven dollars. It is of course cheap even by the rural standards I am used to back home, but it was very expensive here. In contrast last night after I got back from the tour I went out to eat with my mother and had a bean sprout and fried tofu salad in a street cafe and it only cost 7000 dong--or 43 cents.
It poured down rain right after the car let us off at the tour office which is right near the hotel. My umbrella was broken, luckily I have another one. It rains very hard for an hour or so in the late afternoon.
We are trying to plan what we will do for the time remaining until I get Henry. We want to go to Cambodia--I just have to double check and make sure we can get visas to come back into the country because all will be lost if I can't get back into Vietnam! I also want to take a short trip to Da Lat which is in the mountains. I also want to do a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels and the Cao Dai temple in Tay Ninh, but that is just a day trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment