Saturday, September 15, 2007

At the Benedictine Monastary

Friday morning we got up and packed and checked out of the hotel at noon, but it was POURING down rain so we waited in the lobby for an hour for it to let up. Chunh the manager was very nice, serving us juice. Finally of we went with an inordinate amount of luggage (even though we left the majority in storage at the hotel) and made out way to the bus station via taxi. The bus station is only about half a mile away--we should have walked. I watched in amazement as the taxi meter kept going higher and higher. I've ridden in a taxi several times, and really I don't think that ride should have been more than the minimum 14000 dong. By the time we got there it was 33500 dong--but what could we do but pay it in spite of argument because a bus was waiting to pull in where the taxi had stopped.

We wandered around the bus station trying to figure out where our bus was to carry us to the monastary. Finally we found it, but we got on it going the wrong direction. Still it was only 3000 dong each. When we finally got to the suburban bus station where the route stopped we got on another bus coming back. The ticket taker charged us double because we each had a bag. I'm not sure if that is legal, but again what could we do but pay it and anyway it's just a few dimes.

Finally we realized we wee on the right bus and eventually after we again passed through the center of HCMC we made our way to the district where the monastary is, I think it's Chu Doc. I remembered where we got on the bus when I came out here before with the lady from the other hotel so thank goodness I knew where to get off. We wandered around a bit but generally made it with the help of an elderly man who pulled my mother's bag and then wanted more than the 10000 dong tip she gave him.

What a relief to finally be here. The trip was a fiasco and there were times I wondered whether we would actually end up making it. But the sisters here are very kind and welcomed us. The first photo shows the guest house where I am staying. I have what is I suppose the best room in the building as it is a corner room with extra windows and a private bath. The rest of the building was full Friday night with guests for the Saturday ceremony.
My bathroom is equipped with the typical shower that sprays into the room. Note the covering over the toilet paper (which curiously was red) to keep it dry. The pan and bucket below the faucet are for bathing and washing clothing.
This inset shelf shows the room's conveniences--on the left is a jar of laundry detergent and a stiff brush for scrubbing clothes.
My side window looks out to the building where my mother is staying.
My bed comes with a mosquito net. The fan in the upper left keeps me quite cool. In fact at night I have to cover up but I do leave it on. I closed the windows Friday night because there were so many people here, but last night I left them open.
This is the main building--it includes some meeting rooms and a gift shop and two guest rooms. My mother's is on the corner, and it is the only room on the place that is air conditioned. She hasn't used the a/c, but it has been helpful to her allergies to be in a room that can be completely closed off.
We eat three times a day in the dining room that is adjacent to the room where the nuns eat. There have always been other guests eating, including a man who speaks French. I think he called himself a "little brother" of the Jesuits. I can read French pretty fluently but without anyone to converse with regularly I am not very good at all in oral communication.
After meals the guests help in cleaning up.

The ceremony Saturday morning
Sister Tweet who my mother had gotten to know pretty well during her two weeks here was the "M.C." Five nuns were taking their final vows. It was quite a celebration, with nuns from two or three other orders here and also priests and monks and the bishop.

These are the nuns. Note that their habit is a modified ao dai--black slacks and a tan colored top. Sister Agnes the superior is on the far left. The nuns taking their vows are kneeling on the front.
The five nuns in the midst of the ceremony. There was a procession of family members. The ceremony was in Vietnamese so I can only guess at what transpired, but they ended up kneeling and then laying flat on the floor for some time. Finally they got up and were welcomed by the older nuns.
These are some of the guests. The yard was full of people, with awnings set up. We were given seats inside the chapel.
Right after the two hour ceremony we were whisked away to the pagoda that is reserved for visiting priests to have a meal after mass. We were given fresh squeezed orange juice.
The service ended with a big party. Family members sang (we were asked to sing but declined!) and a lavish meal. Most of the people ate box lunches on the lawn but we were given a seat with family members under a tent.
This is a very pleasant place to stay. We will be leaving tomorrow and if all goes well will be in Cambodia tomorrow night. This afternoon I am phoning the agency's representative here in Vietnam to get an update. I hope within two weeks to have Henry.


No comments: