Friday, September 7, 2007

Venturing out into the city

The day before yesterday we went out walking and I had pho for the first time. This is the "fixings" that is added to it--bean sprouts, two kinds of green leaves, limes, and peppers. The pho itself is a meat broth with onions and noodles. It was very tasty and quite inexpensive.
We took a taxi to this church, where my mother is going for daily acupuncture treatments from some nuns who are trained in the practice.
This is the courtyard right outside the acupuncture clinic.
We next went to the main Saigon post office to mail a package to some people my mother met in Danang. It was a medium size box and only cost ten thousand dong to send, which is around seventy cents.
This is the interior of the post office, with a large portrait of Ho Chi Minh.
Yesterday I didn't even leave the hotel until around 7 pm to get some bread at the French bakery. Today while my mother was at her treatment I walked around the area. This is the large intersection right outside the main traditional market. I wandered around the market looking for ice cube trays to put in the little refrigerator but I didn't find any. I'm still trying to figure out where "The Big C" is. That is a Wal Mart type of store that I really liked when I was in Thailand. I found out that several have opened here in Vietnam. I know they would have ice trays.
This park is near the hotel where we are staying. One nice thing about it is that it does not allow motorbikes. Crossing the street here is a challenge. There are rarely stop lights, traffic just flows and people seem to swerve around each other--cars, trucks, buses, motorbikes, bicycles, and pedestrians. To cross the street you just have to step out into it and trust that everyone is going to weave around you.
I must say one thing I find uncomfortable is being approached by people selling something, offering a ride (for pay) on their motorbike, enticing you into their restaurant, etc. But I have found if you just smile and say no they will leave you alone. I have been to some places as a tourist where you are badgered by people. In the past I think my approach has been to just scowl at people and I am trying not to do that--I don't want to come off as an angry American.
This is the interior of the park--really a treat to walk down that sidewalk and not have to dodge motorbikes.
This restaurant is near my hotel. It has what I take to be a Canadian theme--log cabin with totem poles and American Indians outside.

I just wanted to show what the stairway looks like in the hotel. It is very tight and narrow and steep. I think most places have stairways like this to conserve space.

This is looking down the lane to the right from my hotel room. No cars as it is a pedestrian lane.
Looking to the left and upward from my window, the lane is full of hotels and guest houses.



No comments: