Oh I do want to mention that today is Juneteenth in Texas (and it's spread to some other states). On 19 June, 1865 the Union army arrived in Galveston harbor and brought the news that the slaves had been set free some two and a half years earlier by a proclamation that Lincoln had made almost three years earlier. It was of course a great celebration and the day has continued to be an important day of remembrance here.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Happy Birthday, Happy Juneteenth!
Oh I do want to mention that today is Juneteenth in Texas (and it's spread to some other states). On 19 June, 1865 the Union army arrived in Galveston harbor and brought the news that the slaves had been set free some two and a half years earlier by a proclamation that Lincoln had made almost three years earlier. It was of course a great celebration and the day has continued to be an important day of remembrance here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Happy Birthday Henry!!!!!!!!!!! Sara can't wait to see you!
Happy Birthday Henry!. I like to see your face and being following this blog everyday.
Post a Comment