
Saturday was the big day--a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese for Henry's birthday. I'd never been to that place before--it was crowded and noisy but Henry was okay. I'm not used to hosting this kind of party, but they do a lot for you at this place. There were 12 children and Henry and 15 adults and me who were there.

The first part of the party is playing around an arcade area. Henry didn't do any of the games--he just played on the big slide. He did like to hold my hand and walk around looking at everyone, but he did not seem interested in doing anything.

We had 90 minutes allocated to us in the party area. Places were set for the children and they were served pizza and drinks. I had brought a huge cake, much too big for all of us and thankfully some people took pieces home with them. I got the Speed Racer cake--and it wasn't that much difference to get a full sheet cake than it was to get a half. I would have preferred a 3/4 sheet cake but they didn't make that size.

After the pizza a group of the wait staff came out with somebody dressed in a big mouse costume and sang Happy Birthday. There were three or four other parties going on in the area. Some of the children got up and danced with the mouse but Henry seemed more scared of him than interested in dancing with him.

Then came the cake. It has been hard for me to let go and allow Henry to feed himself and inevitably make a mess. I purposely got the buttercream frosting rather than the whipped frosting because I thought it was less messy--but it's all a mess whatever way you look at it.

Henry prefers to eat with his hands, and the thick layer of frosting gave him lots to coat his fingers with.

When I first brought him home he didn't seem to like sweets. I guess going to the Children's Center here on campus has exposed him to the prevalence of sweets in the American diet and while I wouldn't say he craves it he does have a better liking for sweets now.

But it continues to be a struggle to just sit by while he makes a mess all over his face and hands.

After the cake, and what amounted to a small bath at the table to clean away the frosting, it came time to open the presents. We've had an ongoing struggle for Henry to let other people hold him, especially people that I trust, who are friends or family. That has been a goal in working with ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). So it was another big development when Henry sat happily in Chase's lap while I opened the presents.

Henry got lots of interesting and fun presents. He likes cars and music, much of the toys were related to one or both. He also got some nice clothes and other things.
Overall the party was a success. It was tiring but I wanted to do something to bring together friends and family to celebrate Henry's birthday and also his coming into my life. I am really grateful for the support I get from everyone as I continue the venture of raising Henry as a single parent.
3 comments:
Congratulations on surviving your first visit to Chuck E Cheese! And Happy Birthday, Henry!
Happy birthday, kiddo -- congratulations!
Happy Birthday, Henry! Chuck E Cheese is always an adventure!
Post a Comment