Sunday Henry seemed very cranky when some cousins came over to visit--after having not eaten well on Saturday he ate even less on Sunday, vomited up what little he took in after having had a stomach churning followed by a coughing fit. Finally I drove into Dallas to the ER at the children's hospital at Medical City. It is around 70 miles but offers the best treatment. He was deyhydrated and lethargic. The doctor put him on an IV and diagnosed him with viral syndrome which included an ear infection. The pneumonia was cleared up, but the anti-biotic seems to have made him nauseous and unable to hold food down. She also found an ear infection which seems to be part of the virus he has. After eight hours in the ER he was finally released and we drove back home.
Today we met with the Early Childhood Intervention agent at the library. She ascertained that we do qualify for their assistance. They are supposed to provide speech therapists, occupational therapists, nutritionists, etc. I think it is a state run program offered for children up to age 3.
I also went back to the PA in my doctor's clinic. I have decided to take Henry there rather than the pediatrician I first went to after we got back. I didn't care for the the treatment he got from her. We visited her on a Monday and he continued to not be well, then on Wednesday we went to the PA and he called for a chest x ray and diagnosed the pneumonia.
I learn new things each time about how to handle Henry. The PA showed me how to irrigate his nose to help him breathe. The nurse at the ER in Dallas showed me how to restrain him by wrapping him like a mummy in a towel or sheet so I can better irrigate his nose.
Later this week I have appointments for Henry with a pediatrician near Dallas who specializes in internationally adopted children and with a gastroenterologist in Dallas. I feel the doctors around here aren't experienced in dealing with a child from Henry's background. I am alarmed at Henry's lack of weight gain. Hopefully I will get some help and get Henry back to gaining weight.
I am also concerned about taking Henry back to the campus children's center. I don't think he is ready yet to be exposed to so many children and germs. Also they push him too fast--threre are too many issues involved with feeding him. At this point it is more important to make sure he continues to take in as much nutrition as possible than to get him to use a sippy cup or to feed himself with his fingers.
Today we met with the Early Childhood Intervention agent at the library. She ascertained that we do qualify for their assistance. They are supposed to provide speech therapists, occupational therapists, nutritionists, etc. I think it is a state run program offered for children up to age 3.
I also went back to the PA in my doctor's clinic. I have decided to take Henry there rather than the pediatrician I first went to after we got back. I didn't care for the the treatment he got from her. We visited her on a Monday and he continued to not be well, then on Wednesday we went to the PA and he called for a chest x ray and diagnosed the pneumonia.
I learn new things each time about how to handle Henry. The PA showed me how to irrigate his nose to help him breathe. The nurse at the ER in Dallas showed me how to restrain him by wrapping him like a mummy in a towel or sheet so I can better irrigate his nose.
Later this week I have appointments for Henry with a pediatrician near Dallas who specializes in internationally adopted children and with a gastroenterologist in Dallas. I feel the doctors around here aren't experienced in dealing with a child from Henry's background. I am alarmed at Henry's lack of weight gain. Hopefully I will get some help and get Henry back to gaining weight.
I am also concerned about taking Henry back to the campus children's center. I don't think he is ready yet to be exposed to so many children and germs. Also they push him too fast--threre are too many issues involved with feeding him. At this point it is more important to make sure he continues to take in as much nutrition as possible than to get him to use a sippy cup or to feed himself with his fingers.




6 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that Henry is still not feeling good. I hope he is on the mend soon and that you are able to find ways to help him gain weight and strength. It sounds like you have discovered lots of wonderful resources to help you out.
Do you have the book called Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, by Jean McLeod? It has an entire section on eating and feeding problems and tips and tools to overcome them -- a lot of good ideas there that perhaps you could try. Just an FYI.
I agree, they should not push him. Sounds like you know what's best for Henry. I hope he is feeling better soon so he can start eating more!!!
Sue
I think you are right about the daycare, they need to take into account the fact that he is adopted and lived in an orphange all his life up 'til now. The things they expect from him would be appropriate if that was not the case. Right now he just needs to eat, no matter how you get it in him.
He's beautiful and I hope he's feeling 100% real soon. Kudos to you for doing all you can to best care for your son :)
That is VERY stressful! Before I adopted Eliza I asked daycare if they would let her be in whatever group she needed to be developmentally and they agreed. Maybe you can ask the daycare to think of him as 9 months old...not 18? Maybe an EI report would help?
Tiffany
Hi Scott,
I really hope Henry is feeling better soon. You are doing a great job getting him what he needs.
-Crystal
Post a Comment