It was fun to see the boys get to know each other again. They were never standoffish with each other, as I have seen Henry be with other children. I believe by the time I took them to the airport this afternoon for their flight home the boys had a sense of who they were to each other and had fallen back into the relationship they had developed.
Ben weighs about three pounds more than Henry. Joe and Katie have had him for three months longer than I have had Henry, so he has been receiving better care, nutrition, and medical attention for longer than Henry. The weight difference is less obvious from the profile.
Ben is walking, Henry crawls and cruises.
Luckily I had two car seats. I had to borrow my mother's car because mine didn't have room for two car seats and an adult to sit in the back seat. It was nice that the boys could look at each other while we drove around.
On the ride to the airport the boys were holding hands, looking and laughing at each other. It was really a wonderful cap to the weekend.I am really glad that Joe and Katie and I found each other over the internet, and recognized the relationship between the boys. We only have oral confirmation from the orphanage that they are twins, but we collected saliva and sent to a genetics lab so that we can have documented proof. Then hopefully we can sort out the discrepancies in the paperwork and get accurate information that the boys may want someday.
For Joe and Katie and I we have embarked on what will be a lifelong relationship as we raise these boys. I am still surprised to find myself in this situation--it is certainly not what I expected when I began the adoption process. I thought I would be taking on a relationship with a child that I would raise--and now I've found my life intertwined with another family's. Thankfully we are all amenable to making this situation the best possible experience for Ben and Henry, and I am sure our lives will be greatly enriched as well.




3 comments:
I am so happy for Ben and Henry that you and Katie & Joe found each other. I am so impressed that you guys have arranged a visit already, and I hope you will have a lifelong relationship with your new extended families. What a wonderful thing for the boys to have. Best wishes to you all in the New Year!
Scott, Cameron and I are so excited to see the boys together. Thanks for posting so often and keeping us up to date on Henry's progress - we hope to see Henry outweighing Ben soon! It's nice to hear about Ben also since we never got to meet him or his parents but have heard so much about them.
Kelly
It looks like the boys and your families are off to a great start on building a life-long relationship. I'm glad you had such a good visit. The boys are adorable together!!
Post a Comment