The exam went pretty well. He screamed while he was being held down to be stuck but immediately stopped and seemed to suffer no lasting effect other than sleeping all through the night.
I went by the campus daycare to see about enrolling him soon. The director was concerned about how attached and clingy he is to me and how he doesn't want to go to anybody else. After some discussion it was decided that I would attend daycare with him next week for half a day and then come home--so I won't be starting work next week. Then if all is going well the week after that I will go back to work for half a day.
They also said I have to have him off the bottle by January because his age group must be on a sippy cup. He can still take formula, but from the cup. So now I have my work cut out for me--continue to bond with him and let him know that I will be here for him, but at the same time get him accustomed to spending some time away from me and also transition him to the cup.
I think I really will benefit from the campus daycare's routine. I don't have much of a routine myself and I need to force myself to live a routine with Henry.




8 comments:
It's funny we have picture of Ben on his first doctor visit on our blog too. He also started off with 5 shots. Ben is now 21 pounds since being home. I believe he was 14 pounds when we were in Vietnam. He also was best for head size, which the doctor said meant the nutrition he was receiving was going to his brain first. Thank God.
I do think Henry's head will get better in time, helmet could help. We also decided against circumcision at this time, but as time goes on, it seems so much easier with circumscribed appearance. We will see how he feels about it when he gets older. I do think the child should make the choice, personal feelings on this.
We also thought about daycare too, I think it would be good for Ben socially to expand himself, but he is very clingy with Katie and I, and I took another job, so Katie could stay home with him. Too bad, we do not live in Texas; she could watch Henry during the day. :-( I do think daycare is good for improving social interactions.
I know everything will work out for the both of you, I think attending daycare next week will be fun.
Ben just recently transitioned to sippy cup (last week); you might want to try chocolate milk in with whatever he is drinking now in his new sippy cup. This really helped our transition and Ben loves it. Maybe it will work for Henry.
Great updates and pictures. Have a great turkey day.
Joe
Hey Scott, welcome home. Just FYI, Lucy's head is misshapen too, from lying on hard cribs, but our ped said that a corrective helmet at this point is more trouble than it's worth, and when hair fills in it'll all balance out.
So glad you're back home.
Welcome home, I have enjoyed following your journey.
If you can do the DOC band (a cranial orthotic to help the shape of the head), please do... I am a pediatric OT and I see this all the time. When our kids are bald older adults, they will be really glad that you did it for him. Plus, it only weighs 2 ounces...
Good luck!
I look forward to reading each day's new adventures with Henry. Keep up the fathering.
FWIW, Henry can still do the bottle at home. Janet does both - now to a regular cup (she's 3) but she still likes her bottle. The big thing we changed was she has to finish her bottle before she brushes her teeth. I think it is a bonding attachment thing.
Henry being clingy is a good thing and it will get worse around 18 months - but it is a very good sign - it means attachment is going very well.
Welcome home. You are doing a good job Scott,
Eliza also does a sippy at school and a bottle at home. The first 2 weeks of daycare were traumatic and now, after 3 months Eliza is adjusted and doing really well. I would say it took her about 2 months to adjust, but she was also home with either me or my sister for 9 months before starting daycare.
Tiffany
You can buy sippy cups that have a nipple to sip out of at Wal-Mart. the brand is Nuby I believe. but i would personally tell the daycare that i'd prefer he stay on the bottle for awhile, as he's been through so much change & it's so comforting to them. i mean really you are the boss ;) will he take a pacifier? i wish my 2nd one did, he is a thumb-sucker and that is much worse than a baby who loves the bottle or pacifiers. his teeth are already kind of buck : /
i think the helmet is a good idea too. and circumcision is also very controversial these days, it's becoming less popular and after i *watched* my 2nd son be circumsized, i don't think i could ever do that to another son.
p.s. oh, i also think Avent makes sippy cups that have nipples, and you can transition between the bottles & sippy cups with the same nipples i believe. they sell Avent at Target & other places like Babies R Us of course ;)
Post a Comment