
When we first got Henry to the hotel last Monday after the screams and fear at the orphanage it was awful. After a couple of days I felt like a zombie--no sleep, no shower, no time to eat. And on top of it having to get ready and go to the G&R which was itself a fiasco but the paperwork went smoothly.
But things started getting better after we went to the doctor and I was told there's no reason to not put him on solid food. I was told he only drinks from the bottle in spite of being variously reported as thirteen to sixteen months old.
Now as it turns out the screams weren't entirely due to the trauma of being uprooted--he was hungry. He is malnourished. He has done remarkably better with the food. He has been pulling up more and tries to walk. He is happy and laughs--no more of the crying rages that had me fearful of being thrown out of the hotel.

It is exhausting to watch him like a hawk all the time, for fear he will fall off this high platform bed onto the ceramic tile floor. We tried putting him on the floor put it's like ice. As I was walking to the store today to buy some more baby food and contemplating how to repack our luggage (in happy anticipation of going home) it dawned on me that I should use the suitcases to create a playpen around the edge of the bed.

This has worked great. He likes to play with the buckles and pull himself up. There is still some monitoring required as he will probably soon learn to climb onto the suitcases and then the whole idea will have to be revamped. But at least I don't have to stay in a hyper vigilant mode that prevented me from getting any rest or relaxation. He has enjoyed playing in our little playpen. I didn't teach him to stand on his head--I'm not that dynamic and energetic at the moment. But it is something he started doing this morning. I did teach him to clap his hands

He enjoys his playpen area. I'm not sure where he learned to stand on his head like this, I'm not that energetic at the moment to do anything like this. But he started doing it this morning. I did teach him to clap his hands (see below) and as you can see it necesstated him letting go of the suitcases and standing on his own.

I can change his diapers now without him going into a screaming rage. He used to scream whenever we would touch his diaper. Now he can easily be distracted and doesn't even pay attention while he is being changed.
1 comment:
Yes, with parenthood comes lack of sleep. If you read back in my entries on Vietnam, that is my biggest hurdle to cross while in Vietnam and dealing with initial adjustment, no sleep, less energy, esp in that hot weather! Some days little Ben does really well, and some days he is little mr. fussy pants. I think it comes with the territory of adjustment and attachment. It will get easier and when it does, something new will be around the corner. Yet, that cute little smile of Henry will get you through it. Your doing great! Keep up the good work dad!
Joe
Post a Comment