Friday, November 16, 2007

HOME at last!

After a bit of a fiasco we made it to the Hanoi airport. We had paid the hotel for the same van that picked us up to take us to the airport, since we have so much luggage. We paid twenty dollars each way, which is over twice what taxis are supposed to charge. But when we got ready to leave a regular taxi showed up. It was too late to argue or call anyone else. Unbelievably we crammed ourselves and our luggage into the trunk and both seats. My mother and I and Henry sat in one half of the small backseat.
Japan Airlines was very baby friendly. We were boarded before everyone else and given a bassinet, a package of toys, and diapers. Henry slept pretty good for the five hour flight, and we were able to enjoy our meals.
I took him out of the bassinet to feed him. I found baby food fruit the day before we left in Hanoi. That is a story in itself. Three other times I took a taxi to the consulate and they charged 32000 to 37000 dong. The last day I was really in a hurry--had to be there by four to get the documents, they close at five, and the plane left at midnight so I had that one day to get them. I caught a taxi at the same place as always, I knew immediately that it was a ripoff, but there wasn't time for anything else. His meter was turning over like a gasoline pump. By the time we got to the consulate it was over 140,000 dong.
I quickly got my documents and could see the driver outside the window, waiting to return me at four times the price. Nonconfrontational that I am, I slipped out the side, went across the street to an electronic store and then went into the grocery store next door, were happily I found the baby food. I then walked a block or two and found another taxi and returned to the hotel for the regular honest price.
We had a six hour layover in Tokyo. They had a really nice playroom with a nursery section to make up formula.
Henry liked the carpet. Most of the rooms we have been in have had ceramic tiles--cold and hard.
Henry was able to climb up the slide with a little help.
He didn't go down the slide, just stood there and looked.
His legs have gotten bigger since I have been feeding him solid food. I expect him to walk soon.
This snuggli was so valuable. It left my arms free. The only downside was that it was very hot.
American Airlines had called two days earlier to confirm that we had a bassinet for the ten hour flight from Tokyo to DFW. But when we got to the gate we were told the one bassinet had been given to a couple with a three month old. It was very frustrating, but my mother managed to argue with them to give us three seats so we wouldn't just have Henry in our laps the whole time.
It was pretty exhausting because he wants to roll around and there was nothing to stop him. He was asleep soon after takeoff, and then two stewardesses came and woke him up. He fell asleep again and we both dozed off and he rolled off in the floor. He never really slept well after that. He screamed for a long time in the middle of the night and there was no way to get him to be quiet. Two of the stewardesses came and helped me quiet him down. I'm not sure if other passengers were disturbed--with the earphones in I don't think he could have been heard over the roar of the plane and the music or movie.
We arrived on time at DFW and went through customs and immigration. We finally made it home and I am exhausted.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
Welcome Home!!!! You made it. What an adventure! But I am glad to hear you are safe and sound. Give us a call when you get some sleep. We'd love to meet Henry!
Best wishes,
Olga.

Lisa and Tate said...

Wow what along journey you have had to finally get Henry! Kudos to you and you dedication to him. So glad you finally home and can start this chapter of your life as a dad. Henry is adorable and looks healthier and happier in each passing day.

Lisa (from SALDS)
www.tate-r-bug.blospot.com

Anonymous said...

YAY! We are SOOOO happy you made it home!

Awesome! We can't wait to meet you guys!

E-mail me or call me when you can.

Joe

Anonymous said...

So glad you are home safely. Can't wait to hear how you and Henry adapt to home.

Cameron and Kelly

Julie said...

Welcome home!! I hope you are able to spend some time settling in and resting up!

Eliza2006 said...

On the ride home from China the flight attendants woke me up because Eliza and I were both asleep and she was sliding down my legs. No one can understand the extreme exhaustion unless they've been there. Welcome home. Henry is quite the guy!!!

Tiffany

stollmyheart said...

Congrats and welcome to the US Henry!!!! So glad you are safe and sound...and home! Can't wait to follow more of the Henry/Ben story! Perhaps we'll all meet if you venture to WI to meet Ben here! Congrats again!

sue and gary said...

Yeah!! Welcome home!! We are still in Hanoi and just now able to log on to blogs.

Sue and Gary