Thursday, August 30, 2007

Visit to the Nguyen Dinh Chieu School for the Blind










On Thursday we visited the Nguyen Dinh Chieu School for the Blind. It is named after a 19th century Vietnamese poet who was blind. The school offers education and training to children from age 6 months to 22 years of age. It is a boarding school though children who live nearby do live at home. My mother had met the lady pictured here with some of the students when she was staying at the monastery. She has worked at the school for 24 years. The man pictured is the director of the school.

The school is in District 4, very different from District 1 which is filled with tourists. We were the only non-locals within sight. The taxi let us off at a bank two blocks away from the school and we had a difficult time finding it. Then when we left we had a hard time hailing a taxi to bring us back.

The children were very friendly and talkative. They spoke English very well and seemed happy to practice their skill with a native speaker. Many of the children are not completely blind but have very low vision, and it was common to see one leading another around.

The older children (young adults really) learn body and foot massage and locals can pay a nominal fee for a massage. We were obliged to have a massage at the end of our tour. It was a bargain at 40,000 VND, around $2.50 for an hour.

I hadn’t brought any gifts specifically for this school since I hadn’t planned on visiting there, but I took them the 22 pair of children’s sunglasses and the Play-Doh that I brought. I kept back the markers, crayons, and coloring books for the Binh Duong orphanage, which we will visit soon accompanied by one of the nuns from the monastery.

We may not get to travel to Danang. We were planning on leaving today, but it is some kind of holiday (I suppose it’s related to Labor Day) and the planes and train are all booked. We might could still go by bus but that would not be very comfortable and would be a 14 hour trip.

Today my paperwork is scheduled to be certified which means the G&R will be between 7 and 37 days from now, if I understand the system properly. I hope to hear news about it from the agency early next week.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog. Thanks for posting as often as you can and thanks for all the great pictures. I am anxiously waiting for a picture of you and Henry.

Stacey (from SALDS)

sue and gary said...

You're not in Texas anymore! Soon you will have little Henry in your arms!! Thanks for the update.

Sue

Jon said...

Scott,
great pictures. Glad to hear the good news on your paperwork too. I know you are enjoying the sights and your mom is glad to see you. I hope to hear good news of the G&R soon.
DeanAnne