It's been an exciting weekend, reading the accounts of two of the families working with my agency who met their sons over the weekend. Their experience made me think about an interview I heard last week from NPR with Jeff Gammage, author of China Ghosts: My Daughter's Journey to America, My Passage to Fatherhood. Gammage said meeting his daughter for the first time was like meeting a celebrity. He and his wife had spent months looking at photos of her, talking about what she might be doing or who might be taking care of her, etc. And I think that is how it will be for me too.
This is my cat Sugar. She is anxiously awaiting her first meeting with a celebrity. She doesn't know that she will likely lose her coveted spot in the house, and may soon find herself living with the barn cats outside. Unless I can figure out what to do with her litter box where I don't have to worry about Henry getting into it.




5 comments:
I am so happy for you. Henry will bring you more joy and amazement than you can imagine. Blessings to you on your incredible adventure!
When I brought home my 14 mth old - I too was concerned about the litter box (we have 2 indoor only cats) it is in a corner of my laundry room - I told K maybe 6-7 times kitty poop - stinkey - yuck - no touch (which was the words I used for everything that was a no item) It was never an issue - Now at almost 3 - she looks at the box - says Kitty's go poop - stinkey - and I say yes they do - and that is the end of it...
As far as their food - only 1 time did she decide that cat food looked good floating in the water bowl - and I very firmly told her NO MAME - we don't do this - and it has never happended again - now she has been helping me scoop the food into their bowl for the last year - Leave kitty indoors - your son will learn that he/she is not to be messed with (my cats have all claws) and it has never been an issue - one cat only comes out once K is sleeping or sitting at the table - the other cat - "tolerates" her - and now lets her comb him out.
Persistence!
Oh and congrats!
Carol & Kimberly
Hi, Scott. Your Sugar looks like my White, who I wanted to name Sugar but she wanted to be named White and after a year long battle, she won. I have nine indoor cats and an infant daycare. None of the kids has ever gotten into the litterbox. I told them no from the start and always followed through, regardless of what it was, so they know that no means no. Also, white cats should not go outside. They are particularly sensitive to ultrviolet rays and get skin cancer and other cancers very easily.
Henry looks adorable and it's wonderful that he has such a great place to live in, so much open space to grow up in.
Thanks for the advice about the cat litter. I guess I am over cautious. I bought a lock for the toilet and then I asked friends of mine who have children 6, 4, and 2 how they kept their kids from playing in the toilet. They just laughed at me and said it had never been a problem.
Good news. My grandmother says she will take care of Sugar while I'm gone. That's one worry off my mind.
Post a Comment