Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We made it to Wisconsin

We had to leave the farm at four this morning. The drive was fairly easy, and getting to the terminal from the parking area wasn't that bad. Getting through security wasn't the nightmare I have been dreading, and they let me pre-board the flight, in spite of the fact that American Airlines told me via email that they do not preboard people with small children anymore. I had a seat for Henry by the window and he slept most of the flight.
Katie met us at the airport with Ben. The boys were a little shy at first, but we stopped at White Castle to eat and they really warmed up to each other.
By the time we got home the boys were really wild--running around, tickling each other, swapping toys back and forth, babbling and laughing. I haven't seen Henry act the same way with other children--it is obvious that they feel something different about each other.

As I watched them sitting next to each other and squealing with laughter I realized that these boys will have a special bond that is all their own. We can do what we can to facilitate their relationship but whatever they have between them already exists and is very much their own personal thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I've posted a similar comment before (and if I didn't, I meant to), but I just wanted to say that I think it's amazing that you and Ben's family have done so much to maintain a relationship between the boys. It truly touches my heart to read about their reunions and to know all that you have done to make such a difficult situation better.