http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption/intercountry/intercountry_4352.html
The MOU between Vietnam and the US expired on 1 September. It appears that 600 to 700 families who have dossiers in Vietnam but have not yet received formal referrals from the DIA will have their cases closed and their paperwork returned. Those who have received a referral will presumably be allowed to continue forward with their adoptions (assuming the US government approves the case and issues a visa).
I am hoping that the two countries find a way to bridge the differences and work together on international adoptions. If Vietnam becomes a Hague country insofar as adoptions are concerned that could be a step in the right direction. There is also the caveat that I believe special needs adoptions will still continue through what I suppose could be called a moratorium.
And adoptions continue to be processed to European countries, so at least children should not be left languishing in orphanages.
Everything worked out so smoothly for me once I decided in November 2006 to switch my adoption efforts to Vietnam. My life is so blessed and I am so fortunate to have Henry as my son. I pray that negotiations will continue and will be successful in establishing a new MOU so that adoptions between our two countries can resume.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
LOVE the slide show!!!
Post a Comment