Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Vietnamese neighborhood in Chicago

We followed the Vietnamese family we met at the nail place to the Vietnamese section of Chicago. We went to a restaurant and had pho--it was almost as good as what I bought on the street in Saigon.
The boys watch the big fish in the aquarium at the restaurant.
The boys had a rice dish while the adults ate pho.
Ben also had pho--but I resisted letting Henry go through the motions of eating soup. I am gradually getting more accustomed to him feeding himself, making a mess, and getting cleaned up afterward.
The family was really nice to us. After the restaurant we went to a market. I found some of the cocounut candy like I saw being made down in the Mekong Delta.
Chi is a high school senior. She and her brother Tai have been in the country for one year.
Yesterday the boys went to the Case tractor place where Joe works. Henry picked out some tractor toys as a present from Joe and Katie for his birthday.
When we got home the boys danced as they watched the Backyardigans. At home Henry doesn't watch many new shows. He does watch the Wiggles, but he also watches old shows like Beverly Hillbillies. I used to have him watch old cartoons on Boomerang station, but I noticed they are all so violent. Someone is always fighting somebody else--Popeye fights Bluto or Tom fights Jerry. New shows like Backyardigans promote cooperation.
The boys really seem to get along well. I am very pleased with our trip and with the decision we all made to keep the boys in contact with each other.
They play together and they also play apart. They also imitate each other.
Both boys like to play with cars and trains and tractors and trucks.
They take turns riding in Ben's big car. They can propel themselves with a Fred Flintstone like action of the feet, but they also take turns pushing each other.
They sometimes get upset--wanting their turn in the car. But it is really nice to see them pushing each other.

Last night we gathered the food we bought at the market and had a Vietnamese feast. We had pho left over as well as several desert dishes. I like the ones with coconut milk.
Some of the food had tapioca, peas, bananas, and things I was not familiar with.
I relented and let Henry try some of the pho. It wasn't too messy--but it would have been hard to handle in a restaurant.
The boys try out a sled.
The boys watch a DVD in Ben's bed.




1 comment:

sue and gary said...

Looks like a great time! I'm so jealous of the Vietnamese food!!!