Yesterday was a busy day. Even before they were out of their pajamas Ben and Henry were copying each others tricks. Henry and I got up early and went down into the playroom. When we went back upstairs Henry squealed with delight when he saw Ben walking down the hallway.

As the time drew closer for the late afternoon flight the two boys really revved up their activity level. They started out by rollilng around together on the carpet.

They followed this up by chasing one another in a circle through the living room, dining room, and kitchen.

They ran until they were breathless, then stopped by the dining room table and hit the wall several times in unison, then started running again.

Here is the wall they beat. This is right after they started running again. Sometimes Ben chased Henry--sometimes Henry chased Ben.

There were several times when I thought the boys were exhausted and were going to stop. But then they got up again and started all over.

Finally the boys collapsed in exhaustion.

They really seem to have enjoyed playing together. I can see a stronger connection each time we visit (and this was the third time we have gotten them together since the adoptions).

It is easy to forget when we get so busy in our lives down in Texas that there is another little boy up in Wisconsin who looks just like Henry--one who started out in the same circumstances, went throught the same orphanage, and then their paths diverged as they were sent to two families in the United States. I can sense the meetings we have together become less about me getting to know Joe and Katie and more about these two boys continuing and strengthening their bond. Twice during this trip Katie and Ben left to pick Joe up and Henry cried and watched the car pull away from the big window. And in the morning Henry was so thrilled to see Ben.
I don't know where this road will lead us. It seems like a big responsibility not only to raise a child but also to maintain his relationship with his twin. I am really thankful that Joe and Katie are as dedicated as I am in working together for the best experience we can forge for Ben and Henry.

And the plane ride home. The flight itself was uneventful. But they certainly gave us a going over in security. Maybe it was because I forgot to take my belt off and also I wore a cap that had a metal brad in it. After I went through the sensor (with Henry strapped to my chest) I was ushered to a glassed in area where I was frisked, patted down, and rubbed with a metal wand. I had to hold Henry out at arm's length while they did the same to him. And they opened our luggage and looked through every single item. They looked at every credit card, every photograph, every piece of identification. They opened bottles and unfolded clothing. They smelled food and ran their hands over zippers and buckles.
Luckily there was plenty of time so I wasn't upset. The two workers who were dealing with us were very friendly and talked to us the entire time. Then it was off to the gate where again I was allowed to board the plane early and given an extra seat.
In the photo below I am trying to capture Henry's gaping-mouth expression as he watches the plane get faster and faster. For most of the flight he was quiet, although he didn't fall asleep until around 15 minutes before we landed.

Today is the birthdate Henry has on his Vietnamese birth certificate and on his passport--but I had it changed to coincide with Ben's birthdate. Now we aren't really sure--maybe today is actually the anniversary of the day they were born. I would like to have a solid answer some time soon so that both boys will have as accurate an account of their beginning as we can provide.
3 comments:
Great Post Scott. We really enjoyed our time with you and Henry. I think the boys got along great. I'm sorry about the security mishap. Sounds terrible. Well, left you message. Not sure if you got it. We will give you a call tomorrow.
Joe
Hi Scott:
A friend directed me to your blog. My son has a twin in WI, too, and his name is also Ben! We adopted Ethan 5 yrs ago next month and it's been an interesting journey so far, to say the least. It's nice to hear about other families in the same boat as us.
Shawn
Wow, what an amazing story your son shares with his brother. I'm glad you have been able to maintain this relationship and it's remarkable that they are able to pick up from where they left off the last time they saw each other.
Post a Comment