We had a busy weekend. Henry and I got up early and drove over to my grandmother's house. She will soon celebrate her 93rd birthday. I always called her Grandmother or Grandmother Lorene, but I think Henry will call her Rene like my younger cousins. She takes care of my aunt's dog--a maltese named Jackson. At first Henry couldn't tell if Jackson was a cat or a dog because he is so small. He has finally settled on calling him a puppy.

After we went with Rene and my aunt to the obligatory fish restaurant we drove over to friends Stefanie, DJ and Blake's house to swim in their pool.

Blake is six months older than Henry--he comes from Guatemala. He is adept at using his legs to move around the pool while he stays afloat with inflatables on his arms. I am hoping that Henry and Blake will grow up to be friends--certainly they will as long as both families live in this area.

Henry has a good time playing with toys and sitting on the steps. He moved around the pool with me while I held him--clutching tightly to me. To give him something to hold onto I had to wear a shirt--although my hair also made an acceptable alternative for something easy to grip.

Henry kicks his feet when I ask him to, and he will also splash water with his hands. But he will not let go of me--his legs are wrapped around me except for the momentary kicks and his hands hold tightly to my shirt or hair. If he senses me trying to lessen the grip he panics.

That was good preparation for the real thing--yesterday Henry started swimming lessons at the campus recreation center. I pick him up at 8:45 from the children's center and take him across the street for 45 minutes in the pool. It's pretty much the same thing--clutch tightly to me and scream if there is even an insinuation that he is going to be asked to let go or do something on his own. Still he does enjoy moving up and down in the water (while I hold him) and he will even jump in the water from the side--as long as I am holding him the entire time. Two lessons down, six more to go--maybe he will feel more confident by the end of next week.

Yesterday Henry had his second year checkup at the pediatrician at Willow Bend Pediatrics. She said he has made very good progress. She noted that his head has increased markedly in size--I didn't really know that head size increases due partly to intellectual and social stimulation.

I enjoyed the look of concentration and delight that Henry showed while he was playing with the toy in the exam room.

Henry is such a delight to raise and be around. I especially enjoy his peals of laughter when I unexpectedly pick him up for the swim lessons--he isn't used to me being there in the middle of the day. He laughs loudly and clutches me and then turns to everyone and waves bye. It is also such a joy to be going through the grocery store with him sitting in a cart I am pushing, and all of a sudden he starts laughing and reaches out and hugs my stomach.

Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed with emotion, with happiness at how lucky I am to have Henry in my life. I remember back in November and December when I would get choked up in the hospital when he was sick. Now I get choked up from joy and the incredible blessing he is in my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment