Thursday, August 14, 2008

Threats from a Lunatic!

The crackpots of the world are reaching even into our quiet country life in rural Texas. Yesterday as I was coincidentally having training in the library on how to handle an "active shooter" situation such as occurred at Virginia Tech, there was a bomb threat at the Wal Mart across the street from the children's center, necessitating a hasty evacuation.

This is a photo of the children's center. Wal Mart is the white building to the left of the SUV. Someone called and said they had planted a bomb in the store--customers and workers quickly vacated the building. The next thing that happened, four police officers came in the children's center and said everyone would have to leave the premises immediately. Workers grabbed the children and hastily left, and soon the bus that is used to transport our athletes arrived and took them to the student center.

I was called around 3 and told about what happened--the call started with "Henry is okay". I picked him up at 5 in the ballroom at the student center and he was just find. They said he enjoyed the ride over in the bus--it has really big windows like a nice tour bus, whereas in my car his seat sits so low he only sees the tops of trees and big trucks.
We got home and went about our normal routine--since it's rained the past three days I cut the grass for the first time in over a month. Henry doesn't know about the dangers of the world yet--he doesn't know that crackpots and crazies are out there trying to disrupt the rest of us who want to live in harmony by spewing their irrational hatred on society. Just like the training I had earlier in the day for dealing with an active shooter, this was another lesson that we all have to be ready to deal with the evil that is out in the world.

Related to that, yesterday I found one of those machines to hook up to the television to bleep out the profanity and obscenity. I'll be hooking it up to my television--it works with cable, DVDs and videotapes. For these very young years I want to do all I can to protect Henry from the ugliness that is out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
You're a wonderful father!!! Henry is lucky to have someone care and love for him so much!!! What a beautiful family you and Henry are!!!

Felicia in NC

Stacey said...

I just tagged you....sorry if you don't really want to do it, but it was kind of fun!

Erica said...

Scary stuff! I'm glad your son was ok.

Do you mind sharing more information about your bleep machine? It's awful that our prime time shows have profanity--it wasn't like that when I was a kid!