Monday, August 4, 2008

Wiggles Concert

Yesterday we drove into Dallas for a house warming party at friends Lynn and Warner's house. Then we made our way to Grand Prairie for the Wiggles concert. I was worried about how Henry would respond. I wanted him to enjoy it but since he's never been to anything like this other than church (where he gets restless) I wasn't sure what would happen. Happily he responded quite well--one isn't expected to sit and be quiet like church so it was well suited for him.
We were on the 15th row stage right. The opening number was Big Red Car--they didn't have much room to maneuver on the stage. The crowd cheered with Sam pulled a cowboy hat out from the back.
Henry started out looking around before the show started, waving at the people in the audience and watching the lights flash on the screen. When the music started and the dancers came out he stood up in my lap and hopped up and down, waving his hands wildly, calling out to the stage, mumbling the words. When they said do something like put your hand on your head, he did it.
It's amazing to me that the men in the group are as agile as they are. The band was formed in 1991. Sam who is Greg's replacement is only 30, but Anthony is 45, Murray is 48, and Jeff is 55. They jumped around, walked on their hands, all while they were singing.
This is the Humpty Dumpty routine. The name of the show was Pop Go the Wiggles.
The lady behind us took a photo of Henry and myself. It was hard to get a good photo of Henry because while he really seemed to love the show he would not get out of my lap--wouldn't stand up by himself and wouldn't sit in another seat (and I had to buy him his own seat).
As we were leaving the parking lot Henry played with his Jeff Wiggle doll--press his stomach and he sings. This is the thing that brought the Wiggles onto my radar of awareness. Jeff is Chinese Australian and I thought it would nice to buy for Henry when I saw it. I had been wanting to get him some kind of doll figure, but not a traditional doll.
Now he loves to play with him, hugging him and looking at his face, pressing him to make him sing.
I am really glad now that we went to the concert. I didn't find out about it until last week and Iw as able to get fairly good seats. He didn't go through the joy of anticipation that he will in the future for such events, but this was a good beginning.

On the way back from Grand Prairie we stopped at the University of Dallas in Irving, where I used to go go school many years ago. Henry posed by the bell tower.
As we went to the base of the tower Henry looked up to the top.
I enjoy the Gerard Manley Hopkins bit of poetry from Pied Beauty on the placque--
  • All things counter, original, spare, strange;
  • Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
  • With swift, slow; sweet sour; adazzle, dim;
  • He fathers forth whose beauty is past change:
  • Praise him.
Yesterday Henry took the keys and played with them while I was resting on the couch. Then it got time to leave for church and I hunted and hunted for them. I asked him where he put the keys--he thought about it.
He thought some more--he was really trying to remember what he did with them.
Finally he held his hands out with the palms up--the gesture for "I don't know". I gave up on going to church when I remembered the dirty clothes hamper that he likes to put things in. That is where I found them. Henry was playing around the clothes hamper, which is what jogged my mind to look in there. Perhaps he recalled where he had put them and was indicating that to me.

3 comments:

Lovable Hermit said...

I am reading your blog everyday. So loving that Henry is very attached to you. He is an adorable boy

sue and gary said...

Too cute that he hid the keys! Sara does that kind of stuff too.

Erica said...

It's great that Henry enjoyed the show and wasn't scared of all the action and music! I love his little gestures--"Sorry, Dad, don't remember where I put the keys". Priceless!