Friday, November 21, 2008

Phase Two

I think we have entered into the next phase of our experience as a family. I am learning how to deal with Henry's tantrums. They don't last long, but if we are out in public I get kind of frantic as to what to do. He seems to understand when I talk to him about what is happening, even though he doesn't talk back. I will develop my approach out of removing him from the situation and talking to him and moving to a "time out". It doesn't happen very often, and seems more common when he is tired--like he was when I woke him from his nap to go to the party.

I also noticed a couple of days ago Henry opening and looking into the cabinets in the kitchen while I was cooking. He has never done this before. I have wondered if and when this would happen--I knew surely he would show some curiosity about what is in all those cabinets. I keep the one under the sink locked since it has chemicals, but the others just have pots and pans and plastic storage bowls and other non-dangerous stuff. But I'm expecting the next step will be dragging everything out of the cabinets, not just looking.
Another thing that hit me--today I mailed off the first year report. I went to the campus post office where I have so often mailed things off to either the agency or to Vietnam or Austin, and before that I was mailing stuff to Ukraine. It was all in anticipation of what I am living now with Henry--like a dream I was dreaming and now it has come true.

No comments: